A STUDY GUIDE for teachers (and parents) is available with lots of suggestions for science, reading, writing, drama and art activities, history links, topics for discussion, and more!
For recommended reading, a useful list of guidebooks for all ages and fun websites please see the References and Links page.
My Little World features a few endangered species, some of which may actually be locally extinct on Black Mountain now. See these links for more about:
References for younger and older biologists, with a section on Canberra specific books at the end.
For younger readers
- Brunet, B. 2000, Spider Watch: a guide to Australian spiders. New Holland(Australia), Sydney
- Clyne, D. 2010 All about Ants. New Holland (Australia), SydneyClyne, D. 2009 The Secret Life of Caterpillars. New Holland (Australia), Sydney
- Coupar, P. & Coupar, M. 1992, Flying colours: common caterpillars, butterflies, and moths of south-eastern Australia, University of New South Wales Press, Sydney, NSW.
- Lindsey, T 1998 Green Guide: Spiders of Australia. New Holland (Australia), Sydney
- Zborowski, P. 2010. Can you find me? Nature’s Hidden Creatures. New Holland (Australia), Sydney
- Zborowski, P. 2007 Spiders, Snails & Other Minibeasts of Australia. New Holland (Australia), Sydney.
- Zborowski, P 2002 Green Guide: Insects of Australia. New Holland (Australia), Sydney
For older readers/general public:
- Braby, M. F. 2000, Butterflies of Australia: their identification, biology and distribution Volume One. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Vic.
- Braby, M.F. 2004 The Complete Field Guide to Butterflies of Australia,CSIRO Publishing
- Clyne, D. 1981, A guide to Australian spiders, Thomas Nelson, Sydney, NSW.
- Hangay, G. & German, P. 2000, Insects of Australia, a field guide, Reed New Holland, Frenchs Forest, NSW.
- Hangay, G. and Zborowski, P 2010 A Guide to the Beetles of Australia, CSIRO Publishing
- Rentz, D. C. 1996, Grasshopper country: the abundant orthopteroid insects of Australia, University of New South Wales Press, Sydney, NSW
- Rentz, D. 2010 A Guide to the Katydids of Australia, CSIRO Publishing
- Theischinger, G & Hawking, J 2008 The Complete Field Guide to Dragonflies of Australia, CSIRO Publishing
- Zborowski,P & Storey, R. 2010 A Field Guide to Insects in Australia, CSIRO Publishing
- Zborowski, P and Edwards, T 2007 A guide to Australian Moths, CSIRO Publishing
- Fraser, I & McJannett, M. 1993, Wildflowers of the bush capital: a field guide to Canberra Nature Park, Vertego Press, Canberra, ACT.
- Jones, D. 2008, Field guide to orchids of the Australian Capital Territory, National Parks Association of the ACT, Canberra, ACT.
- National Parks Association of the ACT Inc. 2007, Field guide to the native trees of the ACT, Canberra, ACT.
- Bugwise – a website about invertebrates, with identification and monitoring tools including a key to identifying different types of spider webs! Australian Muesum
- Backyard Biodiversity – a CSIRO page dedicated to exploring the plants and animals in your own backyard including endangered and invasive species. Lots of activities to try!
- Bugs! – a fun page about invertebrates from the Museum of Victoria
- Fungi DownUnder – a great page full of facts about finding and figuring out fungi!